One way to warm up on chilly evenings is by trying out new soup recipes that are not only healthy but also delicious. In this post, we’ll be sharing two sweet potato soup recipes to help you switch up your seasonal menu. Sweet potatoes are not only tasty and nutritious, but they also contain potassium, fiber, and vitamin C that promote good health.
First up is the Creamy Sweet Potato Soup. This soup is an excellent source of dietary fiber and is perfect for vegetarians. Here’s how to make it.
Creamy Sweet Potato Soup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until soft.
- Add the sweet potatoes, broth, salt, cumin, cinnamon, and paprika. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and let simmer until the sweet potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender to blend until the soup is smooth. Alternatively, transfer the soup to a blender, blend in batches, and return the soup to the pot.
- Stir in the cream and heat through. Serve hot.
Next, we have the Sweet Potato Soup by Connoisseurus Veg. This soup is perfect for meal prepping and can be frozen for later use.
Sweet Potato Soup
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2-3 sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. thyme
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1 can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/4 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped
- Fresh parsley or cilantro (optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until softened.
- Add the sweet potato, vegetable broth, bay leaf, paprika, cumin, thyme, salt, and black pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes, until the potatoes are tender.
- Add the coconut milk and stir to combine. Allow the soup to cool slightly before blending until smooth, either with an immersion blender or by transferring to a blender in batches.
- Serve hot, topped with chopped walnuts and fresh parsley or cilantro, if desired.
Both of these sweet potato soup recipes are perfect for the fall and winter seasons. They’re not only comforting but also nourishing and full of flavor. Give them a try and let us know what you think!