Gooey, cheesy, and oh-so-comforting – nothing beats a good grilled cheese sandwich. Whether you’re a purist or like to jazz it up with different cheeses and fillings, there’s something undeniably satisfying about biting into a warm, crispy-edged grilled cheese. Here are two recipes to get you started on creating the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich – just be prepared for it to become a regular craving!
The Ultimate Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipe
- 2 slices of your preferred bread
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Butter one side of each slice of bread, then spread mayonnaise on the opposite side of one slice of bread.
- On the non-mayonnaise slice of bread, sprinkle cheddar cheese and mozzarella cheese evenly. Top with the other slice of bread, mayonnaise-side facing out.
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Place your sandwich onto the skillet, cooking until the cheese is melted and the bread is golden brown, usually around 3-4 minutes per side.
- Remove from the skillet, slice, and serve immediately while still warm.
Favorite Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipe – Cookie and Kate
- 2 slices sourdough bread
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1-2 garlic cloves, pressed or minced
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup shredded white cheddar cheese
- 1-4 tablespoons mayonnaise (optional, but recommended!)
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the softened butter and pressed garlic until well mixed.
- Butter one side of each slice of sourdough bread, then spread mayonnaise on the opposite side of one slice of bread.
- On the non-mayonnaise slice of bread sprinkle shredded cheddar and mozzarella cheese evenly. Top with the other slice of bread, mayonnaise-side facing out.
- Warm a skillet over low to medium heat. Place your sandwich onto the skillet, cooking for 2-3 minutes or until the bread is golden brown.
- Transfer the skillet to the preheated oven and bake for about 5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Serve immediately while still hot.
There’s really no wrong way to make a grilled cheese sandwich, so don’t be afraid to experiment with different types of breads, cheeses, and additions like bacon, tomato, and avocado. Whichever direction you take your sandwich, it’s guaranteed to be a satisfying and comforting meal that you’ll find yourself making over and over again. Let’s get grilling!