When the weather starts to cool, nothing is quite as comforting as a warm and filling casserole. And while traditional casseroles might not always align with our dietary preferences, this vegan butternut squash lasagna recipe is sure to satisfy any craving for rich, hearty comfort food.
To start, you’ll need to roast a butternut squash until it’s tender, juicy, and caramelized. While it’s baking, you can whip up a creamy filling of tofu, nutritional yeast, and a few choice spices. Then it’s time to layer your ingredients in a deep baking dish, alternating between lasagna noodles, savory squash puree, and the tofu filling.
But that’s not all; this recipe also includes kale and black beans for an extra boost of nutrients and protein. You can even add a bit of heat with some diced jalapeños, or swap in a different type of bean if you prefer.
Once your lasagna is assembled, simply bake until it’s hot and bubbly. Then, dig in and enjoy the rich, satisfying flavors of this vegan comfort food classic.
– 1 large butternut squash, peeled and sliced
– 1 package (8 oz.) lasagna noodles
– 1 block (14 oz.) firm tofu
– 1 cup nutritional yeast
– 1 can (15 oz.) black beans, drained and rinsed
– 1 bunch kale, chopped
– 2 tbsp. olive oil
– 2 garlic cloves, minced
– 1 tbsp. ground cumin
– 1 tsp. smoked paprika
– Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Preheat your oven to 375°F. Arrange the butternut squash slices on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Roast for 25-30 minutes or until tender and caramelized.
2. Cook the lasagna noodles according to package instructions and set aside.
3. In a food processor, combine the tofu, nutritional yeast, garlic, cumin, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper. Process until smooth and creamy.
4. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped kale and sauté until wilted and soft.
5. In a deep baking dish, layer the lasagna noodles, roasted butternut squash, tofu filling, black beans, and sautéed kale.
6. Repeat until all ingredients are used up, ending with a layer of tofu filling.
7. Bake the lasagna for 35-40 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.
8. Let cool for a few minutes, then slice and serve.
There you have it: a delicious and nutrient-packed vegan butternut squash lasagna that’s perfect for chilly autumn evenings. This recipe is not only flavorful and satisfying, but it’s also easy to customize to your preferences. Whether you want to add more heat, swap in a different type of bean, or adjust the spices to your liking, this recipe is versatile enough to accommodate any variation. So go ahead and indulge in a bit of cozy comfort food, with all the health benefits and none of the guilt.